Thursday 3 November 2016

Help the distressed work towards a purpose-driven life

I concur with the writer of “Step up suicide prevention efforts, not just intervention” (Nov 2) that death has been romanticised, an observation we cannot overlook if we are to arrest the rising suicide rate, especially among the young.
It is not uncommon for youngsters speaking their mind on social media to praise someone who committed suicide as braver than those who think of suicide but do not do it.
I have even heard adults saying the same thing, which is hurting to the family members left behind.
To stay alive to try and overcome seemingly overwhelming circumstances is more courageous and fruitful than to kill oneself on impulse.
I once attempted suicide and am thankful that I failed. I did not foresee the abundant life I have now.
My pain was real, but my reality was warped. I was not in the best state to assess the situation because I was swamped with negative feelings.
Feelings are not the best indicator of circumstances. In fact, they complicate and make a situation worse than it really is.
It is not unusual to have suicidal thoughts when life takes a sharp turn. What is crucial is what we do with these thoughts, which do not go away by distracting oneself with activities such as yoga and meditation.
That cannot address the helplessness within. Our mind is like a battlefield, and unless we guard it with the right belief system, we will succumb to defeatist thoughts.
The mind needs to be renewed and to recognise that one’s worth is not tied to one’s achievements, that life cannot always be plain sailing and that one cannot always get what one wants.
My faith informs my belief system and arms me with values that make me realise that by helping others, I am no longer helpless. I recognised that my problem was not the biggest.
Let us help the distressed visualise and work towards the purpose-driven life they are meant to have. That is the success of suicide prevention.
http://www.todayonline.com/voices/help-distressed-work-towards-purpose-driven-life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.