Friday 24 March 2017

I believe in you, kid!

One thing I have learnt in interacting with teens, especially with my loved ones is that they value their family.
They may not show it explicitly. They may seem rebellious. Most of the time they think adults don't understand them, just as adults try so hard to make these teens understand their 'wiser' ways.
I'm imploring parents not to exasperate your kids. I feel very touched when one said that she values family and friends over grades. She struggles with doing her best in her studies while others see it as not good enough.
Let us tell our kids that we believe in them. Let us not wait till they run away from home, till they give up on their family, on their studies, on their dreams JUST BECAUSE of what we think is best for them.
Just as we don't like others to dictate our lives, let us give our kids the SPACE to work things out. Don't suffocate them. That will not help them to soar.
I'm not negating the authority and guidance of parents. I'm just saying that as the kids grow, we have to learn to let go. We cannot treat them like preschool kids anymore.
It is when you listen respectfully to their views that they will trust you with their vulnerability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.