Friday 24 March 2017

You before me

I remembered my ex-boss, now my friend, gave me this book barely two years after I came to Christ. One of my favourite books because of this woman's devotion to God, more so after the accident that left her paralyzed at 17 years old. Now still in chronic pain because of her disability, she showed the world what clinging on to God looks like, in good times, in bad times.
Watched "Me before you" on the plane back to Singapore. Was debating with myself whether to watch it or not though I would definitely not pay to watch it. Indeed a depressing movie that tried to put romance into it by putting an actress who only knows how to smile 'prettily' and a handsome actor who acts as a paralyzed man. He refused to move on by clinging on to his past. He chose assisted suicide though he seemed to have found love and hope in a woman who pleaded with him not to do so. He told her to live well yet he chose to die. He chose to let his parents grieve over his premature, premeditated death...
Truly a 'me before you' movie that reflects the culture we live in. Me first. My feelings first.
The most hypocritical part is the ending when the actress smiled after receiving the guy's money upon his death. Suicide becomes just like any normal death. It has been romanticized.
In the end, I can only say that this movie sugarcoats suicide. Grief over our losses is real. But so is the fact that we should never advocate assisted suicide to people in their vulnerable state. What people need is a real hope in a real God.
If death solves the problems of life, we would all be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.