Wednesday 1 August 2018

Be consistent in valuing every life

This letter was sent to The Straits Times Forum but was not published.

As one who had attempted suicide in my twenties but is now fervent for life, it is heartbreaking to learn that more elderly are turning to suicide as the only choice to end their pain and struggles (Number of suicides committed by the elderly hits record high as Singapore population ages; 30 July).

In the intensive care unit after my suicide attempt, I saw the tears of my elderly father and my siblings. I lost my beloved mother through cancer but my family members nearly lost me when I tried to destroy this life which is not my own. What if those who had committed suicide had seen the tears of their loved ones? Would they still want to kill themselves?

Family members are meant to go through life’s challenges together. How have we fare in building strong families? Because I live, I owe it to the society to make a difference in the lives of people who are more disadvantaged than me.

My family circumstances have not changed much but my will to live is informed by my Christian faith. I no longer look at what others can do to make me happy and feel fulfilled but I gain joy and strength from sharing how the pain and trials of the past made me a better person today.

The most comprehensive system of helping the vulnerable cannot replace that emotional touch that we can offer to our loved ones as well as the one on the streets.

Building a culture of life is a continuous process throughout our lifetime. Every life is precious; from the unborn to the terminally ill. Our inconsistency in saying that one life is more precious than the other cannot convince our elderly that we treasure and honor them, especially when they are no longer seen as “useful” by a society that values materialism.

Let us encourage our elderly to run this race to the very end. Perseverance is a virtue that we desperately need in a culture where instant gratification is glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.