Thursday 24 September 2015

People with mental illness need a listening ear, link to resources

As a person who struggled with major depression during my early 20s, I view love, empathy and support as most important in caring for people with mental illnesses (“Demystifying depression and other mental illnesses”; Sept 14).
As I was born with brittle bones that resulted in countless surgeries since I was seven years old, the sudden death of my mother to cancer during my A levels was one of the many factors that triggered my depression.
This, coupled with family circumstances and my strong personality, brought me to the brink of death. My suicide attempt was a cry for help. I did not want to die. I just did not know what to do with my life, thinking that no one cared.
When I saw how distraught my family members were in the intensive care unit, it occurred to me that this life is not my own.
My death would have caused unresolved grief to my family.
Those who have died through suicide never got to witness all these. If they had, they would probably not have committed suicide.
I never felt that I was not accorded dignity by people during my depressive episodes. It was I who did not give dignity for myself. I was wallowing in self-pity and expected pity from others.
I was self-righteous, expecting people to succumb to my whims and wants simply because I saw myself as a victim.
I am grateful I had a psychiatrist who showed me great empathy and trusted in me to heal. It was his unwavering support that helped me persevere.
People struggling with mental illnesses do not thrive on pity.
They already have dignity. Like any other person when times are challenging, all they need is a listening ear and the link to resources.
Love and support from family and friends draw out their potential to overcome any situation.
My compliance with taking medication and working closely with my psychiatrist helped with my recovery. I learnt more about myself and accumulated precious life lessons through depression. Having a robust faith also reminds me that I am responsible for my choices.
http://www.todayonline.com/voices/people-mental-illness-need-listening-ear-link-resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.