Monday 22 June 2015

A drop that contributes to the ocean

"Born untouchable, she now touches lives" was my first Straits Times forum letter written and published on 1 January this year, in response to a doctor who wrote that nobody he knows prefers having a grossly handicapped child to being childless. ("Very premature babies face serious risks")
I thank God for this breakthrough and for such a sweet New Year gift on a year that holds great significance to me.
I remember being furious at the lies being fabricated in the public square.
I cannot imagine more lives being killed just because babies have been diagnosed with a seemingly severe disability and are deemed by doctors to have no future and of no use to the society, there and then, even before they have a chance to prove otherwise.
In my social circle of friends, there are many who lead a productive life, sometimes more fulfilling than people who are able-bodied.
In my life, it is not my disability that stops me from being maximized to my fullest potential.
It was my heart that was handicapped.
And this is a human condition that cuts across all strata of society.
The heart that deceives oneself that one is superior or inferior to others according to superficial factors like wealth, strength, 'wisdom', beauty, fame etc.
A doctor who is supposed to save lives now believes in killing 'unworthy' lives.
A person who looks into her own heart and sees only misery.
A person who does not see absolute truth but truth as relative; You believe in your 'truth', I believe in mine.
In other words, let's mind our own business.
Does a baby have the right to live while in her mother's womb?
Yes! 
Thank God my mother didn't abort me.
Does a child with a disability have the same rights as any other child?
Of course. 
Thank God I do have.
Does a child facing long-term severe disability and dependence have a place in our society?
Why not? 
Who can guarantee that no one can have a disability later on in life?
Not even the doctor who wrote that death is preferable to being in such a situation.
Can he say the same if he is truly in such a state?
Even if he says so, I will advocate for his right to live because only God decides our life and death.
I'm very blessed to be given so much.
God gave me the best mum to give me the best education though she was not highly educated.
I ask God to help me in writing every forum letter.
Not all are published but all is practice.
I am one voice.
Have been telling people that Singapore is a democratic society.
Silence is equal to consent.
As a child of God, I don't believe in being a Sunday 'Christian'.
Worship unto God is to love Him in every aspect of our lives, the moment we wake up to the moment we sleep.
Can you imagine God selecting the best time to look out for us?
The moment He takes His eyes off us, we are dead.
Everyone is gifted in different ways.
But no one has an excuse not to live out His nature in us.
Even if a drop of water is just a tiny one, it contributes to the ocean you see today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.