Sunday 21 June 2015

Involve kids in decision-making

P3 gal doing corrections on the word 'queuing' for 5 times.
She wrote 'q' for 5 times and was about to start writing 'u' when I stopped her.
Ok, I must admit that I used to do that when I was young and I know it's not uncommon.
Just that she was caught by me.
Discussed on why she should not do that.
Then I asked, "Are you going to change?"
Gal: I don't know.
Ok, I'm frustrated cos I hear so many 'I don't know' from kids who just refuse to make a decision or to think critically.
Well, aren't we adults guilty of that too?
Don't let kids get away with those 3 words.
Probe.

The aim is to help them to analyse and learn to make decisions that are good for them rather than we demanding that they follow all our instructions without their active participation.
An 'I don't know' guarantees the same mentality and behaviour all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.